Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

I just read an article about the Obama outing to a custard shop in Alexandria, VA. I then was curious, of course, about the comments posted after the article. Most of them went on their rants about politics, policy, etc. One person indicated that this is another example of the media love fest, another didn't want to read about anything but policies, politics and the like. One comment stated that Obama was exploiting the children with yet another photo op. How is going out for custard exploiting his children? Photo op? Do most dads not take their kids out for ice cream once in a while? I know my husband does and they are adults!! Thank heavens there were a few that saw this as they should: Dad spending time with the kids doing something normal and natural. Let's leave this at what it is, daddy and kids celebrating father's day. He's the president so nothing is 'normal' and they cannot go anywhere w/o being in the news. I really enjoyed the little story because it shows a normal family enjoying time together...something that is rare in America these days. Even more rare in the African American community. This should be celebrated!!

To the father of my children, I remember all those trips to get ice cream, the drives in the country, the camping , the fishing...thank goodness we didn't need a team on the roof or armed men surrounding us. I love you not only because you are my husband, but because every day you strive to be the best father you can!

No comments: